Search

Content

Monday 2 December 2013

4 Ways to Wear Over The Knee Socks

When I think of socks the first thing that comes to mind is definitely not "fashion statement". However there is one item of clothing that can make this happen, which are over the knee socks. I love the look of over the knee socks, however I do find them quite dangerous. They're an item of clothing that can go wrong and look trashy very easily if not styled right. I often find myself wanting to wear over the knee socks but then changing my mind in fear of looking like I'm wearing a cheap halloween costume. 




In saying this however, there are numerous ways to style over the knee socks so that they look cozy, unique and stylish. I've styled 4 outfits utilizing over the knee socks in order to give some inspiration and examples of how I like to wear them! I got mine from Topshop, and I like how they have the fair isle type print around the top as it makes them a little more casual and cute for winter, but being black, they still go with a lot of other items.

Skirts





Skirts can be a challenging pair with over the knee socks, as it is can go trashy easily, however I think the key to pulling this look off it not to wear them with something very tight and short. Here I paired them with a full linen skirt from American Apparel and a crop top from Topshop. 

This look is very simple yet has a great modern street style feel, and the socks definitely add a unique edge to the outfit. 



It's also a great way to warm up and make use of the skirts you own that maybe you wouldn't normally gravitate towards in the winter. For me, I know living in Canada during the winter (and generally hating the cold) can be frustrating when I want to wear a skirt but also not freeze to death. Most long socks are thicker than ordinary tights so they're functional as well!


With American Eagle Cardigan
























Shorts






Here I paired the socks with loose velvet shorts from Aritzia, a lace top also from Aritzia and Urban Outfitters short lace up boots. I always found wearing shorts with tights questionable, but I love the look of loose highwaisted shorts in a fabric appropriate for winter. These ones go great with tights and over the knee socks, again keeping it classy by not being too tight and revealing.












Dresses




Here I opted for a burgundy shirt-dress from Loft. I like the contrast of the sophisticated shirt-dress style with the grunge feel of the socks. I also think this look would be amazing with knee high boots.
I also threw on a leather jacket from Danier Leather to layer it up and complete the outfit for a mild winter day. Again I'm a sucker for contrast and the leather jacket with the socks gives a rebellious feel while the dress keeps the look refined.


Tights





If it's really cold, or you don't want to go all out with wearing over the knee socks, wearing them over sheer tights is a more subtle but great way to go. The tights and socks duo make over the knee socks much more wearable in my opinion, and looks amazing with short or tall boots, and all three options of skirts, shorts and dresses. 

Here I put together a black T-shirt dress from Aritzia that just skims the hips and a studded cardigan from Topshop.

Hopefully this guide to over the knee socks gave some inspiration! 

xox

Allison


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comments:

Anonymous
at: 10 September 2015 at 15:46 said...

Elite custom customized tube crew socks for men women and kids. Cool colorfull funky funny vintage designs for every one over the knee socks

Post a Comment

Behind The Web

Theme images by merrymoonmary. Powered by Blogger.

Something